Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Easy Crochet Heart

I know some of you are sick of seeing hearts now that Valentine's Day is now over. However, I wanted to share this because it really wasn't for Valentine's day. I was experimenting with a easy crochet heart pattern that I found. I made some of my own changes and then turned it into a garland for my daughter's bedroom.

Easy Crochet Heart
Photo Source: Creative Mess

Here is the link to the original pattern, Large Lacy Heart. Also, if you are into looking for some more patterns for crochet, be sure to check out the site. I must warn you, you could spend hours looking because there is so many patterns.

Easy Crochet Heart
Photo Source: Creative Mess
Easy Crochet Heart
Photo Source: Creative Mess
My daughters room is kinda blah. I really wanted to do something to make it girly and colorfull. As you can see outside there is no sun and there is snow. It has been grey for days, really depressing. I am so ready for the warm weather! How about you? So I came up with this cute heart garland. I finished it last night and hung it up while she was sleeping, so that she could wake up to this surprise.


Like I said, I found the original pattern here. Below is what I did with my changes for the easy crochet heart.


Abbreviations:

hdc = Half double Crochet
dc = Double Crochet
sc = Single Crochet

Supplies:

two colors of worsted yarn: I used Lily Sugar' n Cream Rose Pink and Yellow Sunshine



Crochet Hook 5.50 mm


Color 1


Round 1: Ch-4, join with slip stitch to first Ch to form ring; Ch - 1; [ 3 hdc in ring, Ch - 2 ] 4 times; join with slip stitch to the first hdc. You should have a total of 12 hdc and 4 Ch - 2 spaces

Round 2: [ 9 dc in center hdc of the next 3-hdc group, slip stitch in the Ch - 2 space ] 2 times; sc in next 3 hdc, sc in next Ch - 2 space, sc in next 3 hdc; join with slip stitch to the first hdc. Finish off.


Color 2



Round 3: Right side facing, join color 2 with slip stitch to second sc of second 3 sc group....Note: this confused me. To make it simple it is where the bottom point is. Ch - 3, slip stitch in same sc, [ Ch - 3, skip the next sc, slip stitch in the next sc ] 2 times, [ Ch - 3,  slip stitch in next hdc, Ch - 3 ] 9 times; working over next slip stitch, slip stitch in Ch - 2 space on round 1...Note: this is the dip that gives it shape for the heart. [ Ch - 3, slip stitch in next hdc ] 9 times; Ch - 3, slip stitch in next slip stitch, [ Ch - 3, skip next sc, slip stitch in next sc ] 2 times; Ch - 3; join with slip stitch to first sc. Finish off. Weave the ends.


This is what I did for the garland that I made, you could use any method that suits you best:

I made 2 of these for the ends so there is slack to tie = Ch - 30; turn and sc back; Finish off
I made 3 of these for in between the hearts = Ch - 15; turn and sc back; Finish off
Attach the lines on wrong side of heart.

Enjoy!

Monday

Blogging tips